HOW TO PREVENT KIDNAPPING
- November 2, 2021
- Posted by: SSDC Online Nigeria
- Category: Uncategorized
TIPS ON HOW TO PREVENT KIDNAPPING
Kidnapping, which is the act of taking somebody away illegally and keeping them as prisoners or hostages, especially in order to get ransom or other benefits before they are released, is evidently giving us cause for concern now. Kidnapping is a serious offence. In fact, in some states of the federation, kidnapping is now considered a capital offence, that is, an offence that is punishable by death.
To avoid being kidnapped, you may consider adopting some of the following security tips:
- Do not work-out, drive, go to work or take children to school using the same route all the time especially where you have alternate routes. This is because felons may rely on your routines to track you down and look for a time when you are most vulnerable to strike.
- Do not accept rides offered by strangers, because you would be at their mercy if they turn out to be kidnappers.
- Always let someone know your whereabouts or where you are going. Give the name and other useful information of the person you are going to meet, in case of any eventuality.
- Do not accept drinks, gums, cigarettes, and food from anybody you are not familiar with. You could easily be drugged and taken hostage.
- Teach the children not to accept gifts from persons they are not familiar with. It is however important we do this with utmost care so as not to make our children become paranoid.
- Do not draw unnecessary attention to yourself, especially by making public donations or appearing flashy or spraying money carelessly at events. Note that even when musicians and praise-singers are praising you to high heavens during such events, they may unwittingly be attracting unscrupulous elements to you.
- Be familiar with your surroundings; also know your neighbors as these are critical to your personal safety and well-being. Remember the case of Evans, the billionaire kidnapper who lived in a beautiful estate in Lagos for years yet none within the neighborhood had an inkling that they were living with the “most wanted kidnapper” in Nigeria until he was apprehended by the Police.
- Identify Police Stations, barracks and other security zones that are close to your residence or place of work in case of any exigency.
- Ensure you have Control Room numbers of relevant security agencies especially the ones nearest to you in case of emergencies.
FOLLOW SSDC @SSDCNG
Source: The Nigerian Police